In the next 6 weeks, we will be covering a semester of material and you will be writing three papers, two 4-5 page essays (each 25% of your final grade) & a final 7-10 page paper (50% of your final grade). All three papers are to be turned in by midnight on Thursday, July 27th. You are welcome to read the lectures and readings as well as complete the three papers at your own pace, but make sure to give yourself time to complete each assignment and receive feedback.
Each of the three papers should be typed and double spaced with standard font and margins. Essays should focus on a single idea or issue, clearly stating your position at the beginning and then using evidence and reasoning to support your position. You are welcome to use your own life experience, current events, historical examples, or examples from fiction, but make sure it is relevant to your argument. I am looking for creative and critical thinking, not a report summarizing the material we study.
You are welcome to use your own life experience, current events, historical examples, or examples from fiction. You can also cite material we study or from outside the class by stating the Title of the Work in Italics, and the authors name. You do not need to include a bibliography.
All papers are to be emailed to me at: [email protected]. This is the best way to contact me about any questions and concerns.
First Response Essay Topics
Pick an idea we have studied with Shamanism, ancient Egyptian thought or ancient Indian thought, and take a position supporting or criticizing it. Some possible ideas you can choose include:
1) Does human perspective evolve and change, or is it largely the same as in the past?
2) Should all truth be questioned and re-reasoned, or are there understandings and dogmas that are true enough to be certainties?
5) Do all cultures share similar views, or are some cultures incompatible with others?
Second Response Essay Topics
Pick an idea we have studied with ancient Greek or Chinese thought, and take a position supporting or criticizing it. If you are in the Global Studies cohort program, you should consider the idea in the context of modern historical movements you have studied in the cohort class. Some possible ideas you can choose include:
1) Is truth relative (Heraclitus & Daoism) or absolute (Plato)? Is there true objective knowledge, or is everything relative human opinion and perspective?
2) Should all expertise and authority be questioned continuously? (Heraclitus)
3) Both Plato and Confucius believe in meritocracy rather than aristocracy. How should this be accomplished? Is Plato’s Republic a good city given that it is a meritocracy but also a rigid class system? Can one avoid class systems in building a meritocracy?
4) Do you favor Confucians who believe in study and civilization, or Daoists who believe in meditation and returning to nature?
5) Do you favor Laozi, who teaches about how to rule a prosperous society, or Zhuangzi, who has far more faith in individual development than social development?
Third Response Essay Topics
Pick an idea we have studied with Islamic & European thought, and take a position supporting or criticizing it. If you are in the Global Studies cohort program, you should consider the idea in the context of modern historical movements you have studied in the cohort class. Some possible ideas you can choose include:
1) Are there absolute certainties (Descartes) or is all truth assumption (Hume)?
2) Can we use reason to deduce truth that should not be contradicted (Kant) or does all truth consist of opposing points of view (Hegel)?
3) Hegel’s idea of dialectic is that everything in history forms in three-fold stages. How much does reality reflect this? Is it too simple or too complex to describe how individual ideas and social movements work?
4) Nietzsche argues that we must have the courage to take an individual stand between and against both absolute truth and nihilism. Is such a stand possible or desirable?
5) For Heidegger and Sartre, the horizon of time and being gives us our truths but simultaneously threatens to take them away. How should one face this situation to live authentically? Do either Heidegger or Sartre give us a sufficient strategy?
6) Wittgenstein argues that we do not give things explanations, but rather add descriptions. Is this true, and if so what does it mean for our ability to have knowledge?
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
- Itsy & The Infinite Web 7: Hands In The Palm Of The Head
- Itsy & The Infinite Web 6: You’re In & You’re Out
- Itsy & The Infinite Web 5: Life Is Like A Tool & Toy
- Itsy & The Infinite Web 4: Too True & The Standing Consensus
- Itsy & The Infinite Web 3: Anywhere To Any There
Best Content for Essays on Any Topic
Perfect English, Fluent Research
If you struggle with writing, get original papers completed by professionals
At BestEssay4U, you’ll get one of the best essays.
Order your excellent essay today!
Philosophy Essay is the Journey into Life Ideas
Philosophy Essay Deals with Ideas and Guiding Laws for our Lives
Philosophy is a powerful part of our life. It is philosophy that we rely on when have the necessity to look for a guiding laws for our lives. For that reason, philosophy occupies a fitting place in society and in the world. Philosophy essay is thus a great tool to work out your views and demonstrate principles of your life.
On the whole, each person is a philosopher, but it takes the inventive brain and reasoning of bright scholars to bring about ground-breaking theories. However, the ordinary man also thinks over about his life and his unique way of life to attempt to find the meaning of his life. Over a life span, a constitution or a theme is expanded to detect the ideas that one can willingly agree to. Amusingly, the philosophies of men separated by huge gulfs of time and freedom all hold close upon a general theme of life.
This topic is so wide as to cover everyone’s ideas and principles that philosophy /essay is better to concentrate on something that is really interesting and of great concern for you. When an individual comes across another who shares similar thoughts, then he bonds with him in solace. Nevertheless when a group shares the identical ideas, then risky divisions could emerge. One idea that is not apparent among the aggressive parties is that all the ideas are true, none is wrong so long as the conviction is strong. Thus philosophy essay writing should be convincing and strong with argumentation. Philosophy essay writer should work hard for finding proper argumentation and supporting it with evidences.
Philosophy is here to join us into general causes, not to oppose us against one another. What one believes is holy and my own ideas, I appreciate very much. In this aspect, philosophy lets us live our lives with assurance, since we know that ideas cannot be taken from us. We are able to feel free to state our views and beliefs as long as we do not intrude with other’s rights. This is where a general philosophy has been accepted and approved by the public. This macrocosmic harmony of a nation shows the influence of philosophy.
One of philosophy’s most essential aspects is its pliability. This pliability allows the human being to endlessly create new thoughts and hypotheses. It was this flexibility that cheered great theorists to expand on their ideas. It is questioning that their ideas can alter others’, but in each period of transition and development there is an opportunity for new philosophies to arrive and assist us live our lives better.
Philosophy gives us the opportunity to live a happy life, full of deeds and thoughts correct to ourselves. We get illumination in philosophy, from ourselves and others. There is constantly an inenarrable pleasure when a new idea comes to us. Philosophy is really exceptional in all its ways. The omnipresent nature of philosophy shows that all men, of different surroundings, call for and latch on to philosophy. Having the task to writer philosophy essay, you get an opportunity to delve into the study of self and if you take the right track, you can enjoy your essay paper job.
Click here to submit order details
- Book Report
- Term Paper
- Research Paper
- Homework help
- Lab report
- Essays for sale
- Assignment help
- Custom essay
- Admission Essay
- Personal Statement
- Scholarship Essay
- Essay editor