Why I Would Not Pick Chicago Booth Part Time MBA : Booth

GMAT Question of the Day – Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only
close


 


0

0

1

 

 

My Profile
Logout

Test’s Subscription Expires:

    • Settings
    • E-mail & Password
    • Avatar
    • Signature
    • Notification Settings
    • Global Settings
    • Applicant profile
    • Update status
    • My GMAT info
    • My Schools
    • My workspace
    • My Bookmarks
    • My Notes
    • Subscription Feed

    My Follow Feed
    Kudos
    My Error Log

    Messages and Replies

    Settings
    Mark All Read

    See All

    Applicant Notifications

    Settings
    Mark All Read

    See All

    Global notifications

    Settings
    Mark All Read

    See All


    You are here:

    Forum Home

    Business School and MBA

    Business School Discussions

    Booth

    It is currently 09 Oct 2018, 04:53

    Register

    GMAT Club Tests

    Decision Tracker

    My Rewards


    New posts

    Unanswered


    Close

    GMAT Club Daily Prep

    Thank you for using the timer – this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

    Customized
    for You

    we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

    Track
    Your Progress

    every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

    Practice
    Pays

    we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

    Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here .

    Go to My Error Log
    Learn more

    Hello Guest!

    It appears that you are browsing the GMAT Club forum unregistered!

    Signing up is free, quick, and confidential.
    Join 700,000+ members and get the full benefits of GMAT Club

    Registration gives you:

    • Tests

      Take 11 tests and quizzes from GMAT Club and leading GMAT prep companies such as Manhattan Prep. All are free for GMAT Club members.

    • Applicant Stats

      View detailed applicant stats such as GPA, GMAT score, work experience, location, application
      status, and more

    • Books/Downloads

      Download thousands of study notes,
      question collections, GMAT Club’s
      Grammar and Math books.
      All are free!

    and many more benefits!

    Find us on Facebook

    • Register now! It`s easy!
    • Already registered? Sign in!

    Close

    Request Expert Reply

    Please wait…

    Confirm
    Cancel


    Why I Would Not Pick Chicago Booth Part Time MBA

     

    new topic

    post reply


    Update application status

     
     
     

    Print view

    First unread post

    AuthorMessage


    cantrollmyrs

    Intern
    Intern

    avatar

    B

    Joined: 21 Jan 2015
    Posts: 28
    Concentration: International Business
    GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35



    Why I Would Not Pick Chicago Booth Part Time MBA 

    [ #permalink ]


    Show Tags



    New post  10 Feb 2016, 15:14

    4

    This is based on personal preference but there are things you might not realize comparing Chicago Booth versus other part time programs. The program at Chicago Booth is barely a cohort. You do not take courses with the same folks like you would in many other part time programs. This does mean more flexibility but a loss of close connections with other classmates.

    You can NOT transfer into full time without completely quiting the program. Even if you get in they will only transfer at max 3 credits, even if they are the exact same classes you’d have to take over again. A little odd that they would make you repeat the same classes, but you only get to transfer three should you even be able to transfer. If you want to transfer go to Kellogg, they allow a certain number of folks to transfer from Part Time to Full Time and actually accept the credits.

    Chicago Booth Full Time students actively look down on the part timers, I’ve heard a lot of crap in my time there. While anyone is allowed to join any club, many actively seek to keep part time students out. Most events seem to forget that part time students even exist. Take their Thursday Night Drinking club, while part timers can go, they will not advertise, nor even acknowledge the presence of part time students.

    My overall experience is that part time students are there to pay the bills so full time students can have the fun / look down on the part time students, which even though you can take the exact same classes, is a rampant problem at this school.

    The school does a terrible job integrating the programs together / building school unity.

    Honestly if I would do it over and was picking a part time MBA program I would pick a school that was more cohesive, formed closer bonds, and focused on school unity as a whole, rather than just ignoring a large subset of the population.


    Nai222

    Current Student

    avatar
    Joined: 29 Sep 2013
    Posts: 108
    Schools: Booth ’18 (M) , Cnsrtm-Johnson ’18 (A) , Cnsrtm-Goizueta ’18 (WD) , Cnsrtm-Darden ’18 (A)
    GPA: 3.86
    WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)

    GMAT ToolKit User
    Reviews Badge



    Re: Why I Would Not Pick Chicago Booth Part Time MBA 

    [ #permalink ]


    Show Tags



    New post  10 Feb 2016, 15:20

    5

    As a prospective applicant, this post needs to be removed. Whatever issues you have with Booth and the program, you need to bring it to the folks who can actually drive change, rather than post defaming statements about a highly respectable program. If your that upset about it go talk to the administration. I have heard nothing but great things about Booth, and I look forward to learning more about the program.


    cantrollmyrs

    Intern
    Intern

    avatar

    B

    Joined: 21 Jan 2015
    Posts: 28
    Concentration: International Business
    GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35



    Re: Why I Would Not Pick Chicago Booth Part Time MBA 

    [ #permalink ]


    Show Tags



    New post  10 Feb 2016, 15:25

    4

    I actually go to this school. This is my opinion. Trust me I’ve talked to various people about this problem. The response has not been great. I think everyone should get an honest opinion before they choose a school.

    If you are looking for flexibility at the expense of having classes with the same folks, this could be a good option.

    Everything I’ve written is an honest opinion and not "defaming". How about my friend who wanted to have a leadership position in a class, but was not allowed because she was a part time student and they wanted to only reserve those roles to full time students?

    Other people enjoy the program and thats great, most of those folks focus only on night classes and aren’t worried about joining many clubs or trying to meet any of the full time folks and thats great.


    hwu580

    Current Student

    avatar
    Joined: 25 Nov 2015
    Posts: 16
    Location: United States
    Schools: HBS ’18 (D) , Wharton ’18 (M) , Booth ’18 (A)
    GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41

    GPA: 3.7
    WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)



    Re: Why I Would Not Pick Chicago Booth Part Time MBA 

    [ #permalink ]


    Show Tags



    New post  10 Feb 2016, 16:08

    My personal opinion is that a good portion of people who choose to apply to part-time programs focus more on obtaining a degree rather than the social / career parts which are what most full-time students look for. So I believe the problems you are talking about may apply to the vast majority of part-time programs, not just Booth. I, for example, am looking for the social & career parts, so I never consider applying to a part-time program because of its comparatively lack of cohesion / career opportunities. Regarding full-time students looking down upon part-time students, I’m sure every school has these types of jerks…


    jzeng

    Current Student

    avatar
    Joined: 26 Jan 2016
    Posts: 3
    Schools: Booth PT ’19 (A)



    Re: Why I Would Not Pick Chicago Booth Part Time MBA 

    [ #permalink ]


    Show Tags



    New post  10 Feb 2016, 16:21

    3

    If you want the social benefit of the full-time program, why didn’t you just apply to the full-time program in the first place? You should know, going into this, that the part-time student life is going to be a little different from the full-time.


    cantrollmyrs

    Intern
    Intern

    avatar

    B

    Joined: 21 Jan 2015
    Posts: 28
    Concentration: International Business
    GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35



    Re: Why I Would Not Pick Chicago Booth Part Time MBA 

    [ #permalink ]


    Show Tags



    New post  10 Feb 2016, 16:27

    Valid points but other programs do a much better job of cohesiveness than Chicago booth. Other part time programs keep a part time cohort so despite the lack of outside activities, you still develop those closer bonds. Programs like Kellogg’s part time program where you take all your core classes together which does not happen at booth. If you just want flexibility but lack of cohesiveness booth is fine. If you want to do deeper connections and go part time I would pick Kellogg or a other part time programs offer a cohort experience.


    bb

    Founder
    Founder

    User avatar

    V

    Joined: 04 Dec 2002
    Posts: 17442
    Location: United States (WA)
    GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

    GMAT ToolKit User
    CAT Tests



    Re: Why I Would Not Pick Chicago Booth Part Time MBA 

    [ #permalink ]


    Show Tags



    New post  11 Feb 2017, 16:32

    4

    Nai222 wrote:
    As a prospective applicant, this post needs to be removed. Whatever issues you have with Booth and the program, you need to bring it to the folks who can actually drive change, rather than post defaming statements about a highly respectable program. If your that upset about it go talk to the administration. I have heard nothing but great things about Booth, and I look forward to learning more about the program.

    I think there may be more value in keeping this post intact to serve as a reminder and a historic record.
    What it describes IS an extreme situation but having gone through the MBA and having interacted with PT Peers, I can definitely hear some familiar tones. It is not untrue either. Again, this is an extreme situation but it is true that PT is not the same as FT, and PT students should realize it. However, I do NOT think that PT Booth is any different from PT Kellogg or PT XXX.

    _________________

    Founder of GMAT Club

    Just starting out with GMAT? Start here…
    OG2019 Directory is here! – New!
    Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! – New!
    Quant OG2019 Directory is here! – New!

    Co-author of the GMAT Club tests


    BigGulpsHuh

    Intern
    Intern

    avatar

    B

    Joined: 01 Jan 2017
    Posts: 33



    Re: Why I Would Not Pick Chicago Booth Part Time MBA 

    [ #permalink ]


    Show Tags



    New post  11 Feb 2017, 18:05

    2

    1

    BB, good call on bumping this post. I think it’s important given that any MBA program is a huge investment and I believe it’s only fair to share information to help provide potential students an objective perspective.

    I’ve had the pleasure to check out PT Stern, Booth, Kellogg, UCLA, and Haas. In my opinion, Stern and Booth does not do a great job of part-time student integration. Kellogg does a great job integrating part-time students as a cohort, but it seems that this may only apply to the local people who live in the immediate Chicago/Evanston area. For example, the Wisconsin folks would be somewhat left out.

    From what I’ve seen, UCLA and Haas does the best job with part-time and full-time integration hands down, in addition to providing the most supportive career services if you are someone who wants to transition careers. I would gladly speak in detail about the programs if anyone has specific questions.


    Virgoean

    Current Student

    avatar

    B

    Joined: 22 Jan 2015
    Posts: 36
    Location: United States (TX)
    Schools: Booth PT ’20 (A) , Haas EWMBA ’20 (WA)
    GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
    GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V32

    GPA: 3.45
    WE: Information Technology (Insurance)



    Re: Why I Would Not Pick Chicago Booth Part Time MBA 

    [ #permalink ]


    Show Tags



    New post  12 Feb 2017, 13:56

    1

    1

    BigGulpsHuh wrote:
    From what I’ve seen, UCLA and Haas does the best job with part-time and full-time integration hands down, in addition to providing the most supportive career services if you are someone who wants to transition careers. I would gladly speak in detail about the programs if anyone has specific questions.

    Hi BigGulpsHuh,
    Great post. I am admitted to both Booth and Haas PT programs and have to decide on one soon.
    Could you elaborate more on the point about integrating with FT program and career services at Haas? I heard PT students can take up internships after 2nd year. Is that through the career center or through students’ own efforts? if the school facilitates it(unlike Booth), that would be a great advantage for the EWMBA students.

    Also do you think there is collaboration on projects/startup contests between FT and PT students at Haas?


    MBAPrepCoach

    VP
    VP

    User avatar

    P

    Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
    Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
    Joined: 24 Mar 2015
    Posts: 1471
    Farrell D Hehn: MBA



    Re: Why I Would Not Pick Chicago Booth Part Time MBA 

    [ #permalink ]


    Show Tags



    New post  09 Sep 2017, 18:06

    1

    bb wrote:
    Nai222 wrote:
    As a prospective applicant, this post needs to be removed. Whatever issues you have with Booth and the program, you need to bring it to the folks who can actually drive change, rather than post defaming statements about a highly respectable program. If your that upset about it go talk to the administration. I have heard nothing but great things about Booth, and I look forward to learning more about the program.

    I think there may be more value in keeping this post intact to serve as a reminder and a historic record.
    What it describes IS an extreme situation but having gone through the MBA and having interacted with PT Peers, I can definitely hear some familiar tones. It is not untrue either. Again, this is an extreme situation but it is true that PT is not the same as FT, and PT students should realize it. However, I do NOT think that PT Booth is any different from PT Kellogg or PT XXX.

    Hi BB – trying to reconcile, "The program at Chicago Booth is barely a cohort. You do not take courses with the same folks like you would in many other part time programs." and "However, I do NOT think that PT Booth is any different from PT Kellogg or PT XXX."

    Would you not agree this program format and collegiality might be a consideration when thinking about PT programs?

    _________________

    Farrell Dyan
    http://MBAPrepCoach.com
    "You don’t often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." – EM, NYC


    ebd26

    Intern
    Intern

    avatar

    B

    Joined: 16 Aug 2016
    Posts: 6
    Schools: Booth PT ’21 (A)
    GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V38



    Re: Why I Would Not Pick Chicago Booth Part Time MBA 

    [ #permalink ]


    Show Tags



    New post  14 Sep 2017, 08:51

    cantrollmyrs wrote:
    This is based on personal preference but there are things you might not realize comparing Chicago Booth versus other part time programs. The program at Chicago Booth is barely a cohort. You do not take courses with the same folks like you would in many other part time programs. This does mean more flexibility but a loss of close connections with other classmates.

    You can NOT transfer into full time without completely quiting the program. Even if you get in they will only transfer at max 3 credits, even if they are the exact same classes you’d have to take over again. A little odd that they would make you repeat the same classes, but you only get to transfer three should you even be able to transfer. If you want to transfer go to Kellogg, they allow a certain number of folks to transfer from Part Time to Full Time and actually accept the credits.

    Chicago Booth Full Time students actively look down on the part timers, I’ve heard a lot of crap in my time there. While anyone is allowed to join any club, many actively seek to keep part time students out. Most events seem to forget that part time students even exist. Take their Thursday Night Drinking club, while part timers can go, they will not advertise, nor even acknowledge the presence of part time students.

    My overall experience is that part time students are there to pay the bills so full time students can have the fun / look down on the part time students, which even though you can take the exact same classes, is a rampant problem at this school.

    The school does a terrible job integrating the programs together / building school unity.

    Honestly if I would do it over and was picking a part time MBA program I would pick a school that was more cohesive, formed closer bonds, and focused on school unity as a whole, rather than just ignoring a large subset of the population.

    If you’re looking for strong unity and the same cohort and to be ‘accepted’ into groups and whatnot then you should definitely go for the full-time. PT programs are for people who know what they want to do and are on that career path and need the credibility of an MBA/the degree as a check-mark on their resume to get to their next position faster than without it. That’s the reality of the situation. Remember: it’s a business transaction, treat it as such.


    Conry52

    Intern
    Intern

    avatar

    B

    Joined: 31 Aug 2017
    Posts: 11
    Location: China
    Schools: Kellogg PT ’21 (D) , Booth PT ’21 (D) , Ross Evening ’21 , Haas EWMBA ’21 (D) , Anderson FEMBA ’21 (D) , McCombs PT ’21 (S) , Marshall PM ’21 (A) , Leeds ’20 (A) , Tepper PT”21 (S)
    GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34

    GPA: 2.98



    Why I Would Not Pick Chicago Booth Part Time MBA 

    [ #permalink ]


    Show Tags



    New post  09 Feb 2018, 01:05

    1

    I think the criticism here misses the point.


    pppg

    Intern
    Intern

    avatar
    Joined: 06 Sep 2018
    Posts: 1



    Re: Why I Would Not Pick Chicago Booth Part Time MBA 

    [ #permalink ]


    Show Tags



    New post  06 Sep 2018, 19:39

    Most full-time MBAs seem a bit strange-like they are the kids in college that never had any fun and are trying to have fun (for once) in graduate school. Being a bit arrogant or trashing part-time or weekend MBA students seems to tell you everything about them, doesn’t it? Most students in the evening program seems a bit more normal. I have taken classes in both.


    hanamana

    Manager
    Manager

    avatar

    B

    Joined: 11 Jan 2018
    Posts: 99
    Location: United States
    Schools: Kellogg PT ’22 , Booth PT ’22 , Haas EWMBA ’22
    GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
    GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V30

    GPA: 3.32
    WE: Operations (Retail)



    Re: Why I Would Not Pick Chicago Booth Part Time MBA 

    [ #permalink ]


    Show Tags



    New post  06 Sep 2018, 20:15

    Both FT and PT are great programs at Booth – they serve different demographics and needs for students. It is definitely not cool for FT students to look down upon PT students, but also it’s not right to take extreme cases to question the quality of the program itself either.

    In the end, if you see the ROI in MBA, do what’s best for you. It should all be geared towards your career goals. It doesn’t matter if you went to FT or PT – what matters are what you get out of and how you use the learning/experiences to accelerate your career.

    gmatclubot

    GMAT Club Bot


    Re: Why I Would Not Pick Chicago Booth Part Time MBA &nbs
    [ #permalink ]





    06 Sep 2018, 20:15

    Print view

    First unread post


    Why I Would Not Pick Chicago Booth Part Time MBA


     

    new topic

    post reply


    Update application status

     


    Moderator:

    rohan2345


    Events & Promotions

    PREV
    NEXT

    Decision Tracker

    Real time updates

    Get notified when Interview Invites and Admit Decisions are out for your school.

    Thank you for Subscribing

    to Decision Tracker Updates!

    GMAT Club REWARDS

    Participate
    to Earn Points

    Ways to earn points

    Redeem points
    For rewards

    Learn how to use

    gmat club member projects:
    27,032 Decision Tracker Decisions
    991 Bschool Reviews
    10,328 User-verified Reviews
    10,379,770 Timers Taken
    2065 Premium Members active
    36 GMAT Courses to Compare
    33 Admissions Consulting Packages to Compare
    2005 Paid & Free questions in GMAT Club Tests

    MBA Resources

    • Business School Rankings

    • GMAT Club MBA Application Guide 2015-2016

    • Business School Reviews

    • Best Admissions Consultants

    • Free Profile Evaluation

    • Best MBA App Tips

    • Everything about MBA

    • B School Journey


    You are here:

    Forum Home

    Business School and MBA

    Business School Discussions

    Booth

    Copyright

    GMAT Club MBA Forum Home |
    About |
    Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy |
    GMAT Club Rules |
    Contact |
    Sitemap

    Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

    Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC® .

    Main navigation

    • Home
    • GMAT Forum
    • GMAT Prep Courses
    • MBA Programs
    • Self Prep
    • GMAT Blog
    • GMAT Test
    • GMAT Wiki
    • GMAT
    • Chat
    • About
    • Contact
    • Advertise

    GMAT Resources

    • Build Your Study Plan
    • GMAT Questions
    • Best GMAT Books
    • All the GMAT Tests
    • GMAT Club Tests
    • Test Dates
    • GMAT Math
    • GMAT Verbal
    • Error Log Templates
    • GMAT Official Guide
    • GMAT Score Calculator

    Partners

    • e-GMAT
    • Economist GMAT Tutor
    • Magoosh
    • examPAL
    • Veritas Prep
    • EMPOWERgmat
    • Kaplan
    • Manhattan Prep
    • Math Revolution
    • Target Test Prep

    MBA Resources

    • Full Time MBA Rankings
    • Part Time MBA Rankings
    • International MBA Rankings
    • Best App Tips
    • Best MBA Books
    • Application Reference
    • Interviews
    • Resumes
    • Free Profile Evaluation
    • Why MBA

    Copyright © 2018 GMAT Club

    GMAT ® is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council ® (GMAC ®). GMAT Club’s website has not been reviewed or endorsed by GMAC.

    © DeeP 2018
    Web Design & Development

    www.gmac.com | www.mba.com
    |

    |
    GMAT Club Rules
    |
    Terms and Conditions